Pinchcliffe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

92.236.125.196:25565

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!

Go down 
+2
Vince
TILlegion777
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TILlegion777
1337 Spammer
1337 Spammer
TILlegion777

New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! Empty
PostSubject: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:16 am

NEWS:
-Update 0.5 is live! Just added a few notes here and there explaining some things I neglected the first time around mostly. Working on the next big thing which I can hopefully successfully call 1.0 Tongue

Welcome to:
NEW VALYRIA

I am TILlegion777, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? 'No!' says the man in Spawn, 'it belongs to the poor.' 'No!' says the man in the Cathedral, 'it belongs to God.' 'No!' says the man in Ysgard, 'it belongs to everyone.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Valyria. A city where the artist would not fear the censor; where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality; where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, Valyria can become your city as well.

*ahem* Now that that's out of the way...

Been a while since there's been any real projects, eh? Well I suppose not, there's a goodly number of random cities and towns about, but how about something with a little more "oomph"? Something less built on the spur of the moment, and instead planned out, block by block? Something that isn't designed to be finished by random people in the middle of a merely interesting looking locale? Something that instead has been planned out by a man who rants like a man on a ledge? A man who focuses more on realism instead of creativity? A man like... me? Now if you've read this far and not just to scream at me, have a cookie and buckle down. As I first post this it's going to be short (for me anyway), but I'll be adding on as time goes on so god help you if you want to try and keep up with everything I write...

So to start with, since I've spent long enough ranting in game as it is...

PART I: A Vague Outline of Ideas...

To start with I'm going to say what I mean by 'country' as that can be very easily misinterpreted. I only am using the term as a comparison of size to a regular town/city. What it is more similar to is almost an entire separate server inside of Pinch really. It's going to have it's own set of rules, and own leadership (Not the permission based kind though, just authority). I said that it's like a Medieval country, and that's a good base to build off of. In the Middle Ages country borders had not yet been defined, instead the majority of land in continental Europe was split into varying kingdoms, rules independently. To be more precise for those of you who have a knowledge of medieval lore such as my own, think the Holy Roman Empire. If you know what I'm talking about feel free to skip ahead some, otherwise I'm going to go into painstaking detail about how that worked out. I'll be trying to work in the confines of possibility of Minecraft and using simple terms as much as possible, just for a hopeful lack of confusion.

New Valyria is a very large area, with no set borders short of nearby it's buildings. It'll keep expanding as long as more thing are built, which will be slowly (more on that later). Inside this land is a series of small kingdoms, each ruled by a King', and all of which have to answer to two people, the Emperor, and the religious leader (undecided as to how to do religion for now, so it's being ignored). The emperor is simply a king with power over the other kings as well, and more authority and respect as you might guess. Each King rules from a small castles, usually in the center of a decent sized town, although exceptions can be made for various reasons, usually defensive measures. Each King has a number of Lords, who rules small castles or forts, depending on the size of area a Lord owns. Under a Lord is their Knight's, who are the main standing army of a Lord. There are also higher Knight's as well, working for Kings and even the Emperor, but they still generally rank below a Lord.

In more game terms each rank has it's own jobs and duties, some of which are changed because of this project. Don't try and use this for your paper on feudalistic society because I've had to change a lot of make it work with a small number of people. Lords will be the most like regular players. They will have to mine materials, farm for food, and build buildings. This is probably what most people are interested in, with a few differences. It's not your job to fight as a Lord, and you'll still have to build very realistically. No sandstone houses for a building in the plains, even if you did get it legitimately, and making huge excessive castles as a lord (or even a King) is just not happening. Knights are the flip-side of Lords. It's their job to build the outposts (with materials from the Lords), defend the city or castle from attack, explore the wilderness, and any other odd job the lord sends them to do. A Knight, in return, get's protection and pay from the Lord. This can range from a roof over your head and a working sword, to a small keep with villagers to serve them. King's are just pumped up Lords. They get the majority of their materials form Lords beneath them, but will also have to work for anything else they need. Feel free to demand more from your Lords, but if they rebel on you you may very well be on your own. And Emperor is just another step up. They are the only one's (short of rebellious King's) who should own large castles, and whoever is Emperor get's final say in just about everything, until people start rebelling. It's a fine line between being lenient enough to not have rebellions for freedom, and strict enough to maintain order.

Assuming there are 16 people (which is my initial goal once we get going) there should be a single Emperor, two Kings, five Lords, and eight Knights, with Villagers playing useless peasants. In a perfect world (on this server wish a split player-base anyway) we might get to 32 people playing fairly often, which would be more of a 1:5:10:16 ratio. There would only ever be two Emperors in cases of large scale rebellions, and very large player-bases (100+ people or so), so ignore that continuity. If we end up somewhere between 16 and 32 work your way from bottom to top ranking wise. So Knight slots filled first, then lords, etc.

NOTE: In case you haven't figured it out yet, this is going to be fairly role-play heavy. I'm not enforcing any requirements, but try to keep in mind we're not playing normally. Don't feel like every attack is a personal thing, or that there's anything real going on here. Try to think in the mindset of someone form the times. With that in mind feel free to ask for crafting recipes, or leave the country to go play differently for a while, or talk about real life with everyone else. There will only be one really enforced thing, and that's the laws we'll be using. Which are different entirely from normal Pinch rules. I'll explain those later though.

PART II: Medieval Building 101

This is going to be fairly bare-bones I'm afraid. While I am very good at the layout of areas, especially those with Medieval themes, it's hard to explain. I'll try to do as good a job I can here, but if you don't know at all, or are still confused, you can feel free to seek me out in game for some feedback on what you're building. Better to ask me part-way through a castle to get help than wait until it's done and have it removed because it wont fit in. I'll start with simpler things and work my way up from there.

Villages: Generally inhabited by only peasants, their main purpose historically is to provide food and occasional other services (river crossing's, new horses, etc.). For our purposes these will mainly be set up by Knights, and only populated by Villagers when the need arises. A normal village will consist of a few houses (around 3 for a small village, 6 or 7 if it's big) which are relatively small. Think a 5x5x5 space for every two people living in a building. Add to this a store, and if it's on a major road, a tavern. The buildings would be made out of whatever material is plenty around the area, normally wood, sometimes cobblestone, and very rarely dirt. In special cases it may be made of sand type materials, various stones, or even bricks. A good rule of thumb is to only put in what someone just trying to live would need, versus someone trying to advance. A bed, a chest, if it's larger a table and some chairs. keep in mind most villages are more decoration than anything, except in times of war.

Outpost: Usually built in the wilderness by a Knight. Generally speaking, only inhabited but a Knight or two, with possibly some Peasants living as well, depending on how far out from a down or village it is. most often an outpost will take the form of a three story tower, plus one basement and a rooftop. Large outposts run by powerful Knight's may be larger, and if lucky will contain a wall and some other building's as well. Almost always built out of cobblestone, and following a fairly easy pattern. A dungeon at the bottom, followed by a small meeting room, then the barracks, and topped by the Lord's chambers. Fancy towers will usually have a separate staircase walled off from other room with doors to ascend, but normally the stair is just on the edge of the tower. For examples of other building's to place for larger outposts, look at the town fort recommendations.

Towns: Again, usually peasants, with the occasional Knight or two running the area. Primarily built by Lord's, but also up-jumped Knight's on occasion. There aren't really any set populations for towns, but they're generally larger than villages, and too small to be of a lot of importance. A large town might have a small keep as it's centerpiece, assuming it has a Knight to run the place. The same general layout as a village except the keep. A keep will be about a 5x5x5 area for each resident of the town, with two floors usually. This would probably consist of a small barracks to train peasants in during times of war, a smithy to create weapons and arms, a stable for any fictional horses (played by saddled pig's if you want to be realistic), a main hall for the men of the keep to gather and eat in, a training yard (essentially a big open space with some dummies), and a small tower for the dungeon, rookery (played by chickens), and Knight's chambers. A particularly aspiring keep may also have room enough for passing lords and their trains to stay in. A keep is usually built out of cobblestone, with a richer keep perhaps having some stone brick buildings as well. Of course the keep would also be surrounded by a small wall, and if it has the time and water to do it, the keep may have a moat.

Fort: Generally speaking this is a Lord's seat. Almost always built by a Lord, but a King more focused on battle may also have a hand in it. Built much like a larger, more dedicated keep. Often built out of cobblestone, and depending on the wealth of a lord could use varying amounts of stone-brick. A fort can be tought of as the inverse of a town with a keep, usually all the resident's of a fort will live within it's walls, making it a more defensive position. Generally the only building's added to a fort that aren't in a keep would be housing, and a seperate barracks dedicated to knights. Otherwise a larger, more expensive keep for the most part.

City: Cities are the largest population center's around. Due to their sheer size they are the only non-combatant structures to have walls. Almost always built by King's, but can very rarely be built by powerful Lord's, or an Emporer too lazy for a castle. Cities are usually built in positions to easily trade, or rarely in startegically good locations. There's no real limit to a city's size short of raw material's used and how many Knights you can keep around to defend it. Generally this is the first time you'll see more specialized building's, and the only place to get rare goods. Some of the larger, more powerful cities may also have fort's within them, for times of crisis, otherwise the resident ruler will live in a large, expensive building, often with a small wall of it's own.

Castle: The big thing's, and what most people think of when they hear "medieval". Sorry to dissapoint but there will only be a few of these, and only rarely built. I wont try to explain the structure of a castle here, but a good rule of thumb is that if it's taller than it is wider you're not being at ll realistic, although there are VERY few exceptions to this. Some of the largest castles have cities built around them, and quite often in low lyiing plains and the like that is the case. Almost onlu ever built by an Emperor, and very rarely built by a very powerful King, although setting up an entire castle could be seen as an act of rebellion by some...

There are also a number of miscellaneous structures around. Small houses built by families, large tourney grounds outside cities, and so forth. The only one I'll get into right now though is roads. Every structure from a town up is connected by roadways, and often villages and outposts are set up along roads. Generally speaking a city will be built on a large intersection of many roadways. Roads are usually large enough for at least two people to walk on, and nearer important places will often get larger. Better kept roads will be built of smoothstone, then cobblestone, then gravel, then the road ceases to become a road. If you plan to make a structure make sure you have at leasy one road connecting you to the outside world!

NOTE: Keep in mind our themes here. While there wont be bars and dance clubs and random towers, there will be brothels and taverns and small churches. I'm not goign to even try to regulate this kind of thing, but if I see something that really doesn't fit it's gone, no second chance. Ask me if you aren't sure and if it doesn't fit I'll tell you can let you change it, move it, or whatever. Don't ask and you wont get a choice or refund.

---Update 0.5---

A quick note on building materials, how to use them, and why I've chosen what I have.

Most normal houses and building's will probably be made of wood, just due to the ease of procuring it in a realistic sense, and an in game view. Try to stick with a single type of wood for an area, with similar logs. The addition of multi-colored planks may seem like as good a time as any to start adding color to normal building's, but for the most part wood in an area is all the same color. In areas that are hotter it's okay to use bright white planks, but that doesn't make sense in a cold wet enviroment. Hopefully you'll be able to use common sense for this kind of thing. Various walls and weaker fortifications would also be made partly, or entirely, out of wood as well, again due to it's low cost and easy access.

Smaller fortifications, and building's that need strength as opposed to needing to look good, would probably use cobblestone. It's the easiest stone available and historically most quick and dirty strcuture were built out of irregular stone pieces, as opposed to even bricks. Many walls, keeps, and forts will use cobblestone primarily, with the lower end of that scale adding wood, and the higher end adding stone bricks. If you don't want to use cobblestone in something you built because you're one of those people who can't stand the look, I do plan to modify the default minecraft textures for my own use, which I could upload as we finish up the project, assuming there's any interest. The occasional regular building will use cobblestone as well, but more often than not wood is the main material. If you can't see why, think how many towns you see with huge quarries. Now think how many you see near woodlands. Hopefully you see the reasoning.

Larger fortifications and anything that needs to look better will use stone bricks. They aren't that difficult to acquire, but most weaker land owners simply wont have the time and coal needed to make all of it. Generally speaking the main hall of a powerful keep, important sections of weak forts, most of strong forts, and almost the entirity of castles will be built out of stone brick.

Smoothstone should rarely, if ever, be used as a building material. It's simply unrealistic to have a single large piece of unbroken stone serving as any part of building's like this. Unless you plan to have your land hollowed out of a mountain you shouldn't even think about this. There are some exceptions, for small areas. A floor of a great hall, for example, may have the ability to proquire an unbroken piece of stone large enough.

For the most part marble (half-block smoothstone) isn't a common material. Really you'd only find this in good forts and castles.

Decorative stone is called decorative for a reason. Use it for decoration, not as a building material. In fact since you can't legitimately get this, there shouldn't be a problem here.

All of those are assuming you are building the base of a structure. For smaller details feel fine to break and bend these rules. Any tavern aspiring enough could ship itself a few marble slabs.

On a final note, all these are assuming you are building in a "normal" area. If you decide to set up a Fort in the middle of a desert, or build a castle out in the ocean, these don't apply at all. Talk to me on a case-by-case basis there.

PART III: Ranks, Titles, and all that Jazz!

If you thought you had all the ranks down pat before, I'm sorry. Now I'll be getting into more detail about exactly how each rank will work, how to achieve it, and general role-playing guidelines.

Peasants: Played by Villagers. Usually we're just going to pretend that these guys exist, as going out and populating each house with villagers could take a while. When they are there they wont do much, except server to measure the size of a population center. Historically they did a lot more, but we don't have anyone who want to be a peasant so they're gone.

Knights: What I'd like to do here is require someone to prove some skill at arms to be a Knight, but I feel we will already have few enough Knight's as it is. The only requirement is that you wont run from a fight. Knight's get to server whoever will take them. Obviously you'll get the most out of an emperor, but serving King's and Lord's is a good way to learn how to fight half decently, and quite often is an easier job to get. As I mentioned before whoever the Knight serves will have to give them their due to keep their service, but that varies depending on the Knight and his master. A Knight's job is to build a few choice structures (as shown above) and occasionally other small projects for who he serves, fight to both expand and protect (depedning on who they serve), keep the populace safe, and maintain order. Unless we start getting a lot more people chances are Knight's pretty much just build some random things, hunt mobs, and occasionally get in a small pvp fight. If you're a knight and you're bored, go talk to your master to see if they have anyone for you to go kill.

Lords: These guys are the most common type of player really. Essentially your basic Minecraft player, they will mine, farm, and build whatever they need. I've lain out some general guides above, but feel free to screw the village and instead build a grand tourney ground instead. Pretty much the only limit to lords is to play legit, build realistically, and service your king and emperor. Otherwise go wild pretty much.

Kings: Now you get a taste of some real power. Kings promote knights to lords for good service, throw down lords who act poorly, decide land fueds, and get to get drunk and add a few new bastards to the world, even if you can't physically in Minecraft. For the most part I doubt Kings will do a lot usually, short of build. For comparison purposes Kings are like Mods, they have semi-final say in a lot of things, especially if the Emperor doesn't feel assed enough to care today. If you want to really get into role-playing start killing random peasants for breaking laws, randomly shove them on the walls as guards, and send your knights out to collect you some taxes. Otherwise build a lot. Kings are free to demand materials from lords below them, but be wary of how much you ask for. Rebellions have started for less than a chest full of cobblestone...

Emperor: ABSOLUTE POWAH! Except me, I get final say in everything. No I will not be the emperor, so if you, yes you!, want the job talk to me and we can work some stuff out. For a general outline the emperor is like the admin, except without the commands. They can change lands, promote kings, screw with lords, and cause general havoc. Don't cause too much or people will get upset though. Again, talk to me if you want the job.

---Update 0.5---

Please stop asking for more ranks. As it stand we have 8 people who have expressed interest, that's barely enough for one of each position. A war between 2 kings would literally be the kings fighting in a fist to fist battle if everyone who asked got their own suggested rank. Regardless, if we ever do get more interest (upwards of 20 people at least) I have a lot more position's I'd like to fill. Things to function as the equivelant of maesters and hands, for example. Sellsword company's are a big thing I'd also like to do but that's not even a remote possiblity for the moment. Not to say I'm not reading ideas and contemplating, but quite often if you ask my answer will just be "We need more people."

PART IV: How to Play: or "Why yes, you are a n00b"

I know you guys all like to think that you're mad pros at minecraft, but sad to say in a lot of ways you aren't. But that's not what I'm referring too here, instead I mean how to behave in a role-play area on a regular server, which a lot of people might have problems with. First off I'll drill off the regular server rules you WILL need to follow here, then my own rules, then some exceptions and explanations, and finally a lot of jargon about not being an ass essentially.

Now I know there are only three "rules" on Pinch, but I'm going to ignore that and say what those really mean for my purposes.
1. Don't grief.
2. Don't kill.
3. Don't whine.
4. Don't argue.
5. Do be respectful.
6. Do attempt to solve problems.
7. Do listen to GMs, Mods, and Admins.
8. Do be a good person.
Seem about right jojo? Of course these aren't exact, the rules lists uses a lot more catch all phrases so that people can't complain so much (I see right through your shoddy rules list!). Now onto the rules for HERE.
1. Follow the regular server rules.
2. Follow the laws.
3. Ignore both of those rules if need be.
4. If you ignore rules 1 and 2 for no reason expect to be dealt with.
5. Always, always, always follow the New Valyria code.
What are these laws you ask? Well that's not my job, so there are none yet. Emperors and Kings make laws, I just made the world for them to go in. You also may be thinking "Ignoring the rules? You must be mad!" but I'll explain myself. First I'll summarize it here but later on you can expect a nice lengthy wall of text to read as well. But first up just some general ideas of how to act in New Valyria. I call it the New Valyria code.

1. This is a seperate entity from Pinch, treat it like that. Your resources and lands do not carry over between the normal server and new Valyria. if you built something really cool here and want jojo to copy it that's fine, but no building's will be pasted into New Valyria, and no materials will come in either.
2. We have a religion of sorts but I'm undecided as to what that is. Worry not, I wont be using a real religion, but it will be a religion. I'll talk more about this with whoever become emperor, until then just keep in mind there are 'god' and churches and such, try to not ignore that.
3. Since this is roleplay the laws of the land will not get you kicked, or muted or anything. If you rob someone, you'll be hit with a diamond sword or something, to symbolize losing your hand. However if you start getting out of hand, role-play or no, you will be punished. Feel free to act like a racist sexist scumbag knight, as long as you keep it tame and make it clear it's not the real you, but if you start throwing out slurs and ignoring how other people really feel don't be surprised if you find yourself banned, saying that you were "role-playing" is not an excuse to me.
4. We wont be using things like big brother or lwc for the most part. If you want to keep a chest safe you'll have to hide it, if you want to keep a building safe hire a guard. There are exceptions, if some random wanders in and just starts ruining your castle for example. But if a thief steals your nice magical diamond sword t's your loss. No refunds I'm afraid. Again there are exceptions, and if you feel it was unfair talk to me.
5. Death is usually not permanent. When you "die" you'll really only be knocked out, explaining how you magically got to where your last guy was. There will be permanent deaths however, but you'll be told when. IN that case you'll lost all property you had, and have to become a different person. No big deal unless you're a beheaded king, you shouldn't be storing diamonds around anyway.
6. There will be no teleporting, or anything of the like. If you are a mod and you drop in to check that everything's going okay, that's fine. But if you're playing, regardless of server rank or power, I expect you to not use your powers. There are occasional exceptions, as always, but for the most part don't use any commands. Ask me if you're not sure about anything.
7. There will be war, you will fight or die, if you lose you lose. I'm really sorry that you lost your castle, but if you can't defend it try to appease everyone, without angering the rest.
8. My say is FINAL. For this one area I hold more authority than admins. Technically I will own this entire area, eveyr block of it. So if you build something I own it, you just get to use it. If you know me you'll also know that you don't have to worry about this ever, unless you screw up. But I have final say in anything contained within New Valyria. Any broken block that I say is fine, is fine. If I find that you got someone punished for something I said was okay, or you just didn't ask about, you'll be leaving. It is the way it is, and if you have a problem with how this is going to work, don't join.
9. Speaking of joining and leaving, try not to without warning. I know I'm historically terruble at this, but I would like a smlal heads up. if you're gone for too long expect to be written off as dead and replaced. If you give some heads up that's not so much a problem though. Oh and feel free to appoint an "heir" to take over when you're gone or if you leave. Joining is simpler, just ask me and I'll shove you somewhere. Kings and Emperor have promotion privlidges in new Valyria, I'll only appoint a few of the first batch and try to steer some peoples opinions.
10. This needs saying twice, so I'm saying it twice. I WILL HAVE FINAL SAY. Just so you understand. Ask me if you're really confused about what all is okay.

I'll get into more detail about when it's okay to follow my rules in place of the server rules later. For now this will do.

PART V: Not-so-modern Warfare

War. War never changes. Except the addition of big hollywood explosions anyway. Now anyone who's ever been on a pvp server should know vaguely how this will run. There are some differences though, so at least skim this. I'm going to vaguely bullet-point write this, because I get the feeling you might prefer that to more wall of text, even if it is a wall of text, just different. It'll go in a step by step process from start to finish, which will hopefully clear it up a bit.

Find a reason: This can range from "He stole my sheep!" to "I want more land!" to "They'll kill me if I don't!". Generally speaking this is not a huge deal. If you aren't trying to become a conqueror or fight for your superiors, ask to make sure they wont take this as rebellion though.

Demand compensation!: Depending on how badly you want to fight and what they did ask for stuff all the way from "I want back my 5 sheep and 30000 of yours as well!" to "GIMME YOUR LAAAAAND!" to "Please surrender so I don't kill myself on your walls?". You can also just sneak attack them, always good for a first strike but you'll ruin your diplomacy.

Gather your forces: Do you have any alliances? Anyone owe you a favor? Have extra Iron to outfit Knights? This is the time to gather your strength and arms. Your foe will also be doing this, so try to do it quickly.

Begin!: There's a few ways to go about this depending on what you're doing. I'll go through various attacking and defending options here, but don't expect a summar of The Art of War, no real tactics for you here I'm afraid, find them yourself.
Attacking: Generally split into three kinds of attacks, you've got your sneak attacks, your brute force, and your sieges. Unless a town has a ton of citizens (which I doubt any will have any time soon) the Siege is pointless. Generally speaking it would take far too long to wait for someone to use up all the materials they can get. Which leaves you with two options, a sneak attack or storming the gates. Sneak attacks would work better if you really don't care about seeming a coward, and need the advantage in a fight. The more interesting part by far is the storming option, but I really can't elaborate on how to go about that. Try to use common sense as an attacker, don't do stupid stuff. In case it hasn't been mentioned often enough yet, there isn't really 'griefing' here as much as normally. To get through a wall you're best bet is to start punching stone until you get in. Good time to look for wooden walls, eh?
Defending: Defending a good place is far easier than attacking a fortified position. Sit tight and shoot arrows at anyone you see, don't get shot yourself, and hope you can swing a sword better than them if they get through your walls.

Finish them!: A battle will end when one of a few things happens: all of one side is dead, all of one side surrenders, or someone else get's involved. In the first two cases proceed onwards, in the third figure out who they're fighting for and resume the battle anew!

Mopping up: After you've claimed land, it's yours. Short of your higher ups wanting the land, or a reconquest, you get to keep it. Put rebels to the sword, switch the town's religion, change all the flags in the area, demand taxes, burn the place to the ground, whatever!

I really should have put more though into this but I feel the need to continue, and I really am having a block about what to write here anyway.

---Update 0.5---

With the added knowledge now that PvP is globally disabled, we have a little kink thrown in here. For the moment I think my plan is to scrap all of the above text. Instead everything will just be fought on tourney grounds, to stop jojo from having to enable PvP all over the place. If you want to war ask to borrow a tourney ground for a day so you can slaughter your foes. There's going to be several varieties of tounaments but I'll talk about those in the next big update, this is just a quick-fix repost.

PART VI: An Age of Empires, Magic, and more...

I believe I mentioned before that there are some oddities in this land. I'm going to go into a bit more detail with them here. This section will change a lot as we get new plug-ins and swap out old ones, so check frequently for updates! This section will include miscellaneous thoughts on various commands, abilities, blocks, and gameplay mechanics. Feel free to voice complaints about anything, but I will maintain my final say.

COMMANDS: I don't have a list of admin/mod commands, bu assume you shouldn't use them. Unless you're doing something not related to New Valyria, ignore them all!

afk: Use this as your time out, as long as someone is marked afk it's assumed that they are preoccupied and can't respond. No declaring war, or anything else on an afk person. If they just aren't paying attention though...
back: This is the "I wasn't killed, only knocked out and robbed button!" If you ever die from anything besides a punishment, or warfare, feel free to use this to get back to where you died. If for some reason you need to go to spawn feel free to use it then as well.
clearinventory: Don't spam it to stop people from getting your shit, otherwise fine.
compass: DON'T USE THIS. Make a compass if you need directions, just like the real world. or use the position of the sun, that will also be fine.
delhome: See home.
help: Shoudln't need it usually but feel free to use it I guess. I'm expecting that if you use help you're doing it for non-Valyrian purposes, otherwise you never know when it's not a good command...
helpop: Shouldn't need it in New valyria, feel free to use it for other purposes in new Valyria if something is going wrong though.
home: No. Don't use this in New Valyria. Ever. Never, never, never, never. People can't teleport in the real world, neither can you. If you really want to play as a priest and think being able to teleport is intergral to your clerical powers, talk to me. Otherwise, no.
ignore: Try not to ignore other Valyrians, they might say important stuff, otherwise it's fine.

kick: Only for use for real problems, not in New Valyria.
kit: Don't use this either, unless you have good reason. A Kings knight who really needs an Sword and knows it wont dent his kings treasury can feel free to use it to get the sword, in dissimilar cases ignore this.
list: Push Tab.
mail: Try to only use this if your status implies you can read. Low ranking Knight's might not, but most Kings can. This is our method of using Ravens (messenger birds) in game.
me: ???
motd: Not a Valyrian thing.
msg: In Valyria only use when close enough to whisper physically, otherwise use mail. Unless you really can't stand the mail system, in which case fine I guess.
mute: No! See kick.
ping: Pong!

rules: Non Valyrian.
seen: Non Valyrian.
sethome: See home.
time: See compass, except substitute for a clock.
togglejail: See kick.
tpa: No. Much the same as home, you can't teleport in the real world. With a few exceptions this isn't something to use. I suppose if you're just like trying to do something simple it might be fine, but no mid-battle or cross-country teleports.
warp: I'll try to get a single warp in the capital for new players, otherwise ignore this.
spawn: Non Valyrian, don't you dare abuse it to escape combat!

DIAMONDS: No. You don't build diamond shit. Ever. The one concession to this I'll make is tools, veeery rarely. This would be the equivelent of Valyrian Steel, for those who have read a Song of Ice and Fire. Not to mention Diamond Armor is just unfair.

Picks: Only one limit here: no using them when not minging/building. If you're breaking into a store or slamming through a castle gate, you'll have to use your fists. You can still use spades and axes when useful though. Hopefully this will encourage more realistic startegies for breaking in.

Lava, TNT, Fire, Etc.: These kinds of things are no-no's for now. I may consider fire depending on how well we could control it. But for now no fire.

Potions and Enchanting: I'm going to add specilizations for people eventually, until then I'm not quite sure what to do with these. I'm going to say just ignore it for now, ask me if you really want to use them for some reason though.

The Nether and The End: Okay for once, I'm not going to say anything about this. You guys can figure out how these will work, if they will work, yourselves. I'll edit this if anyone gets a good plan. I'd like to say to ignore it but Endstone is a very nice material for the rich, and the nether has a fair number of important things in it.

Spawners and Eggs: I would like access to these for certain things, if I'm allowed. Tongue Regular players don't touch it though. Feel free to breed animals all you like, just don't lag the server to hell. If you happen to find a natural spawner, please just ignore it or destroy it.

Mooshrooms: THESE DON'T EXIST, KILL THEM WITH FIRE.

Golems: See Mooshrooms. I may consider thinking of uses for these later, but for now don't bother with either kind.

Wolves: Don't own 90 billion.

Ocelots: Don't own any, they suck... In all seriousness for cats and wolves try to keep it realistic, only have them if you live in an area they'd spawn, and then treat them like the beasts they are, not little kitties and puppies.

Silverfish: If I ever get creative I'm going to start randomly replacing stone in castles with silverfish to piss people off, fear that day. Until then you shouldn't need to worry about them.

PART VII: SOON TO COME

Due to great (okay only slight) pressure I've decided to cave in and post this. I'm still only about 1/2 done with my rough working draft, and then I'll need to go over the whole thing to clean it up, but I think this is enough for people to get the idea.

Last edited by TILlegion777 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://Google.com
TILlegion777
1337 Spammer
1337 Spammer
TILlegion777

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:17 am

[RESERVED FOR FUTURE USE]
Back to top Go down
Vince
Architectural Genius
Architectural Genius

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:38 am

Is this all in Vanilla Minecraft?
OR are we using some sort of plugin to enforce the code/law/etc.
Back to top Go down
Fabianzzz
1337 Spammer
1337 Spammer
Fabianzzz

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:50 am

What are the three "rules" of Pinch?

Is this going to be on another world?

AAAAAAND

I would hope we get the "Religion" thingy sorted out. I would like to be the High Priest, or the Magic Shaman, or the Grand Pope.

If you want my suggestions for religion, just tell me.
Back to top Go down
TILlegion777
1337 Spammer
1337 Spammer
TILlegion777

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 11:24 am

It's running in Pinch. Laws and such will only be enforced as well as they can be normally in Pinch. Unless a certain admin were to give us a bunch of plug-ins to help...

Type /rules. They are very general.

Not unless I could convince jojo to add a new world, which I kind of doubt. It will be very far out form spawn though, and jojo has given me permission to just keep expanding as far as we need.

I have a lot of ideas for religion, just no cohesive structure. It'll probably be included in my next update Tongue
Back to top Go down
Vince
Architectural Genius
Architectural Genius

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 11:38 am

Some Possible Ideas To Incorporate! You don't have to use them, but they are just my thoughts.

According to history, Religious Leader > Emperor... SO many northern monarchies hated them.
Would be interesting to see historical geography come into play with our role-playing Tongue For example, northern Lords tend to raid more than S, W, and E lords.

Also...

IDEA 1:
Some form of gambling at Taverns to keep the economy flowing. If you win the game, you get everything you bet and your oppenent bet. If you lose, but cannot pay, then you are in debt to the winner over X amount of time (EX: must give 64 wheat a day for 3 weeks)...
OR
(more interestingly) create a rivalry between the two towns, lords, castle, etc. So the winner might have a grudge and raid your place regularly for supplies, damaging buildings (not too severely)

Possible Gambling Games That Can Be Some-What "Fair":
-Drinking Game (Like splash poison potions or something that gives each player negative status effect until one dies or something)
-Races Around Tavern (While under the effects of slow potion... slow potions exist right?... slow potion>soul sand cause soul sand looks stupid Tongue)
-Wrestling Ring (Like in Ethoslab RFW videos, there was a small ring that the two players would have to punch each other outside of. Also, to make sure we can tell someone was punched outside the ring, we could surround the ring with a ring of fire)
-Marksmenship with Bows ( 3 targets at spaced intervals, 3 arrows, most accurate+hits= winner)

IDEA 2:
Utilizing the different armors to represent the RANKS in a Lord's/ Emperor's Army. For example, chain-mail for archers. Iron for Knights. Leather for "temporary units."
By "temporary units" I mean a civilian who just joined your army, or a peasant/knight that was captured and they changed allegiance. So we know not to completely trust them.
OR
We can use different armors to show which MAJOR lords you serve under. Though, when a "Minor" Lord uses a "Major" Lord's armor, there may be confusion. Or rather, Lord's from a specific region (like North, East, South, West) have to use a specific type of armor.
This idea may seem unfair since better armor= more survivavility, but I think the only difference in all armors is durability.

IDEA 3:
Idea from DarkBrotherhood from Skyrim+Oblivion Happy... They are completely separate from the Lord's/feudalism system, but they still co-operate with them. Lord's can hire this "Organization" (lack of better word) to do dirty work, without directly exposing the Lord him/herself. Dirty Work includes... robbing, sabotage, murder, etc. The organization is paid greatly for their efforts, depends on what the leader of it wants. For example, maybe they want X amount of gold, or food, etc. If you fail to pay your bill, then you are likely a target that is added to your list. For example, they would go work for enemy lords who are out to get you, or maybe they'll sent someone to do some independent work with you and then stab you in the back. For example, infiltrate your ranks as a "trusted" person and become a high-ranking knight who commands like 1/3 of the Lord's army. Then when the time is right, the knight (spy,etc) will commence an attack and underlings won't know who to "follow," attack the Lord because he's a jerk by making you give 99% of your wheat collection!... or defend your Lord because you have Honor Tongue

IDEA 4:
Everyone must carry some redstone, so then that when you die, you blood is everywhere. Or we could use bones/bonemeal.

IDEA 5:
Is there a forest biome in the way of your kingdom's expansion?#*!# NO NEED TO WORRY, JUST SLASH AND BURN THEM and then turn them into crop fields Grin

I know not all these ideas are possible, but they would be super interesting to use.
Back to top Go down
TILlegion777
1337 Spammer
1337 Spammer
TILlegion777

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 12:14 pm

Keep in mind I probably know more about Medieval settings then anyone else on the forums, on the server, and probably most people you'll ever meet. I spend my free time looking up this kind of stuff, read high fantasy books, and have played Dungeons and Dragons for years. You only told me very old information there with the religious order thing Tongue

With regards to geography, the realm will expand haphazardly in all directions with no real limits. So that may be hard to implement anyway, but nice plan if we could.

I: We simply don't have enough people for small stuff like that. I have more than a few ideas for smaller scale things, but with the eight people we currently have involved it's just not going to work.

II: Again we need more people, and there are better ways to go about this kind of thing as well I believe. Armor does have differences besides durability as well. Diamond armor is overpowered beyond all belief in fact. Arrows wont damage you in it, and you can swim through lava if you use a regeneration potion as well.

III: I have better plans for that kind of thing as well, but again, we need more people!

IV: Not going to work out I'm afraid. There are plug-ins that add blood you could try and talk jojo into installing however.
Back to top Go down
SoBe Fiend
Cow Tipper
Cow Tipper

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 1:41 pm

Til i think we should start out with two small empires that both expand with people when they have the land, money, power, and resorces.This way the two groups can expand when we want it and it can be a more controlled enviorment (for the begining at least).
Back to top Go down
TILlegion777
1337 Spammer
1337 Spammer
TILlegion777

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Again, we'd need more people to split the player-base up farther. Fret not, I have plans for how to start, they'll be up next time I update as well.
Back to top Go down
SoBe Fiend
Cow Tipper
Cow Tipper

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 1:59 pm

im just saying this because this way we can have an enemy so we can fight and we are pressured to work harder faster, be on our toes you know make the game interestin Smile
Back to top Go down
Obby
Stone Miner
Stone Miner
Obby

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:16 am

Yes! Looking good so far, except for the global disable on PvP. Can't wait to start this up Grin
Back to top Go down
SoBe Fiend
Cow Tipper
Cow Tipper

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 10:57 am

Also i know this is a big twist, but if we cant get enough people how about we fight hordes of undead until we get enough (if you cant tell i really just wanna kill stuff) :/
Back to top Go down
Jojo261
Admin
Admin
Jojo261

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 9:27 pm

Btw I have to get around to making the server /rules list, those 3 are default with bukkit, I didn't write those x)

And yeah, if you want I can make a Worldguard region for Valyria as large as you want it.
This would mean I can enable PvP there for you instead of having tourney grounds, and can disable certain commands from being used within the region.
Back to top Go down
http://pinchcliffesmp.com
TILlegion777
1337 Spammer
1337 Spammer
TILlegion777

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 11:11 pm

I'm thinking for now it would just be a big pain to have to expand it whenever a new building is added, so keeping single areas for all that kind of stuff would be better. Maybe once the borders are set in stone (very loose stone mind you) it'll work, but changing the edge every day seems pointless. I don't really know though, I guess it depends on how close people are willing to build together and how many people want to build big things. Speak up people!
Back to top Go down
Vince
Architectural Genius
Architectural Genius

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 10:30 am

Well, I thought that since it was a "COUNTRY," that we would build EXTREMELY far away, and that the entire country would have been surrounded by oceans on all sides, if possible. So from eagle's eye view, it'd be a gigantic island surrounded by oceans.
Back to top Go down
TILlegion777
1337 Spammer
1337 Spammer
TILlegion777

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 12:24 pm

If you can find a large enough island, go ahead and start there. Otherwise I think we'd need to build on the mainland for the most part. And yes, it will be very far away.

Sad enough to say however you guys are going to have to start doing that stuff, spout's lack of cooperativeness has made it rather difficult for me to play currently.
Back to top Go down
Vince
Architectural Genius
Architectural Genius

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 7:39 pm

We havn't reset the map yet. So not sure if we should start. We might not even reset. Don't quote me on that.
Back to top Go down
TILlegion777
1337 Spammer
1337 Spammer
TILlegion777

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 3:20 am

I suppose it's probably time to start considering how this is going to work out. Since I can't join it's going to be very hard for me to try and finish this up, as a large chunk of it still needs details worked out. Do you guys want to just try to go for this yourselves, or do you want me to try and post what I can still? It probably wont be a lot as compared to what I was originally going to write, but hopefully there's already enough information up anyway.

I mean at bare minimum now you can start adding all your own ideas with no taskmaster to beat you! Grin And at worse you go back to playing on a server that you were playing on already anyway. No big deal, not like you fools are the ones with the excessive obsession with feudalism...

Even if spout were removed tomorrow there's no guaruntees that I'd be finishing this up anyway, I found a half decent server that's a lot more suited to this kind of thing, so I'm chilling there for a while. I probably would've left soon regardless, I quit Pinch once already anyway, what's one more time? Tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!   New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text! Empty

Back to top Go down

New Valyria: Now with 900% more wall of text!
Page 1 of 1